We Will Show You The Way To Success!

News & Events


U.S. reporting rules for RRSPs and RRIFs
If you own a Canadian RRSP or RRIF, under U.S. domestic law, you are required to include income and gains earned inside your RRSP or RRIF in your taxable income for U.S. tax purposes on a current year basis, rather than when this income is withdrawn (which is the case for Canadian tax purposes). Due to this timing mismatch, double taxation can result. However, there is relief under the Canada-U.S. Tax Treaty, which allows a U.S. person to elect to defer recognition of the income and gains in their U.S. taxable income until such time as the income is withdrawn from their RRSP or RRIF.


Filing deadlines
Normally you must file your U.S. return for a particular year no later than April 15th of the year following the year in issue. However, there is an automatic extension to June 15th if you are resident outside the U.S. on April 15th. For example, if you are a U.S. person and are resident in Canada on April 15, 2010, you must file your 2009 U.S. tax return by June 15, 2010.


Globe and Mail - National and international business news

Internal Revenue Service (IRS) - Forms, publications and a multitude of information on the administration of the U.S.  Internal Revenue Code

Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) - General information on the administration of Canadian tax laws as well as those of most provinces and territories

The Bank of Canada - Information on current / historic exchange and interest rates, financial indicators, securities auctions and more. The convenient “Currency Converter” allows you to determine Canadian dollar equivalents for a broad range of foreign currencies.